Wednesday, September 17, 2008

V-sit progression

Well today was a grande day at the old gym. First of all, that fella who made me feel all self-conscious yesterday actually started chatting with me again. Turns out, he was not trying to be the biggest douche bag in the world, but rather he was actually interested in how I maintain muscle mass by doing primarily body weight exercise routines. That was kind of nice. We then had a neat conversation about psychological/neuroscience research... this is my life... sorry. 

Second, I made an astonishing (well, to me only) discovery. Over the past two days, I have actually, unconsciously made progress toward the V-sit position (see pic, but I am not even close to that!). 
Yesterday, while doing my L-seat to planche progression, I worked hard on getting the legs higher and reached about 80, maybe 75 degrees inclination of the legs (up from 90 degrees). Then today my wife was training her hanging L-sit variation. I was starting to show her the move and realized I could easily get up into a full hanging V. It must be the work I have been doing on the front level, but i almost felt easy, and this was at the end of my workout. 

I was very pleased, to say the least. Not to mention props to Aussy - she has been training with Cassandra, probably one of the best personal trainers we've ever seen, for about 4 weeks (1 day / week). Today she got remeasured and lost 2.5% body fat. 2.5% body fat in about 1 month! That's fucking awesome! She is my idol!

1 comment:

Luc said...

The next time someone asks you how you incorporate "progressive overload" into a bodyweight routine, simply tell him/her that, rather than increasing intensity via increasing the weight you're manipulating, you're decreasing the mechanical advantage at which you're manipulating it, i.e. lengthening the levers.
This is why a straight-armed pull-up is so much harder than a regular one, or why an iron cross is much harder than merely supporting oneself in the dip position.
Through all bodyweight progressions, the weight being manipulated (your bodyweight) remains fairly constant, yet the actual resistance experienced by the muscles may vary enormously, merely by varying the mechanical advantage at which they are working.
It's all on gymnasticsbodies.com.

Happy training!