Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Paleo Pasta Dinner

OK, Paleo - that is NO PROCESSED CARBS - Pasta dinner, how's that possible? I know, I know, I didn't think it was possible either or at the very least possible, but would taste like shit. It didn't, Austen, my food guinea pig, confirmed it!

So here's how you do it, easy peezy! Go buy a Spaghetti Squash. It's like a butternut squash, but more yellow. Then split it with a knife, that's the hardest part of this recipe. Seriously. De-seed it. Place face down in a slightly greased or sprayed baking sheet. Bake in a 375 preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Then take it out and allow it to cool, because you need to pick it up and it'll be pretty hot. I did not wait, because I was hungry. I just used a few paper towels to attenuate the heat. OK, so now take a fork and run it along the inside of the squash, it will peel away and look a lot like spaghetti (see image). OK, so now you could pour your favorite sauce over it. You could lather it in butter and salt, or garlic. I made a homemade sauce by sauteing bacon, onion, and garlic. Then I mixed in two chopped tomatoes and some chopped basil. I seasoned it all with a tiny bit of salt, dried red pepper flakes, fresh ground back pepper... I also added about a 1/2 cup of pine nuts.  I put that over the top of the squash like I would put sauce on Spaghetti. I served it with a side of oven baked asparagus. Yummy!

3 comments:

Adena said...

Yum. I did a long stint on Atkins and enjoyed speg squash as a nice pasta substitute. What sounds even better is what you put on top of it! Excited it's almost "basil season" again and look forward to having plenty of it on the back deck.

Thanks for sharing!

Monkey Boy and Ginger Bread said...

I just had spaghetti squash for the first time the other day. Delicious stuff, but the strands were quite short. Throw in some turkey sausage or (even better) venison meat sauce and you've got me hooked. Good post!

Prof. Steven M. Platek said...

Dan, I wanted to add some real meat, but my wife heard that one day a week of pure vegetarian is supposed to be good for her. She follows my paleo so I have to throw her a bone once in a while.

Adena, if you try it with my topping I think you will love it.

Dan, do you have a blog, food page somewhere I could check out?