Monday, September 22, 2008

Iron cross progression

Today I worked again toward the suspended iron cross using my suspension rope. Here's how I did it: 

I first tightened the ropes up so that they were above shoulder height. I then kneeled on a swiss ball. Grabbing the ropes now and balancing on the Swiss ball, my arms are out at my side slightly higher than my shoulders. Then I push down into the cross - only the tips of my knees touching the Swiss ball. I held that for about 20 - 20 seconds, then I finished off with a press down of my arms so that I raised myself up. I was now suspended with the ropes and my arms at my body's side. I then let myself down slowly. I repeated this sequence for about 3 sets of between 6 -12 reps. 

It's a very unusual feeling to be suspended with arms out straight. It is also really hard. Even with the Swiss ball, you find yourself not concentrating and losing focus. I found that in order to maintain focus and strength I had to maintain a very strong core. I think I am getting close... Slowly but surely. I will try to post some pictures or a video to demonstrate the progression.

3 comments:

gilesdm said...

thats sound great... just keep it up, and eventually you will be able to do it. And, I think once you can do that, you are in the top 1% of the population for strengh!

Prof. Steven M. Platek said...

i dont know about 1% for strength, but it sure would feel good to do it. It is so hard. i get the strangest looks at the gym

Richard Bartlett said...

gilesdm: Strength is a funny thing, you can be strong in some ways andf then not others. Ultimately it's all down to what you're conditioned to do.

Prof Platek: Hi there, I'm also training the cross and found your blog while looking for tips. I've been using a progression tool which straps on the forearm and allows you to fix the ropes higher up the arm thus reducing the leverage. I recommend this tool as it allows you to train the straight arm push out of the cross with reduced bodyweight and not just the negatives and static holds. If you have any other ideas for working into it, i'd be interested to hear. I have a facebook group "Herculean Bodyweight Challenge" (Please dear god forgive the cheesy name conceived on an training fueled endorphine high) and would be interested in your progress. Don't give up, there are plenty of plateaus on this road!
Richard Bartlett