Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mirror muscles, from the wast up, that is....

This afternoon at the gym I saw a dude working out. OK, I was riding the bike and could only see his top half. And he was admirable in size - one huge mother fucker. He was solid, ripped, just a giant. Then he walked out from behind a machine and started to calf raises. Well it must have been his first day doing calf raises, but no, it looked like today was "legs day." Must have been that one day this year. My wife said he looked like a caricature of a man, a cartoon picture - Jonny Bravo style. All big up top, little bird legs below.



Why does this happen? Well the number 1 reason this probably happens is because training legs is hard and not done by these guys for fear of not being able to train those damn biceps, pecs, or triceps. The other reason I think this happens is because females, chick, girls, don't did legs on a man. Women, correct me if I am wrong. But I can count, on one mangled hand the number of times I have heard a girl look at a guy and say, damn, he has nice legs. On the others hand, I don't know if I can count high enough to indicate how many times I have heard: he has such great arms, huge chest, v-shape, etc. Quite frankly, it's an insult to the term "fitness training." I don't see these guys as being fit at all. Granted, they do look good. But that is not what fitness is supposed to be about. Maybe it demands another term - I know body building is the term, but that does not quite capture it, does it? I mean, my definition of fitness (outside of my evolutionary one, which means to reproduce) is to be physically fit. That means being able to do some athletic stuff. Maybe we should call it: Flirtness. I mean that is kind of what their training is for - to flirt.

So a little rant, but it irritates me because these guys walk around like they own the gym. It irritates me that other people look to them for fitness advice. They actually ask these dudes questions like: How'd you get so big? What's your training program? Etc. I mean, don't get me wrong I don't want anyone asking me about my training regime although I'd be glad to let them know. It just seems plain wrong.

So what about not training legs. I cannot even imagine not training legs. Here's a good link about leg training, which I summarize here. Legs are the very essence of your existence, assuming you walk on two legs and are not wheelchair bound. They stabilize everything from your movement to your bench press. Your legs are your roots. Imagine a tree with no roots. Now imagine trying to kick or push that tree over. It'd be pretty easy right. Now imagine your typical tree, with roots. Go try and push over a tree. If you succeed, I bow down to you, however, chances are you were unsuccessful. Tree roots are powerful. They are the essence of the existence of trees. Like your legs. I am not saying that I could have walked over and pushed over Flirtness Trainer mirror muscle max, but I bet I could have come pretty darn close if not for the sheer fact that he was top heavy.

Trees are hard!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JJAR1vjgJAU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JJAR1vjgJAU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>


No comments: