Friday, October 3, 2008

Functional training: Moving weight


These guys are athletes in the World's Strongest Man competition - they are truly beasts. Their burden - to move stuff! Quite literally, to move really fucking heavy stuff a long way. See here on the left pulling a train locomotive and to the right pulling a truck! I love watching these competition - mainly because of the gross display of testosterone that remind me of two bucks or ram butting heads in the wild... ah animal nature, but lately I have been thinking about this type of exercise - this functional training as it were. Functional because in everyday life we have to move stuff. Bench press does not help you move anything, except of course a long bar with plates on the end of your chest. So I guess if you find yourself pinned to the ground by a tree the benchpress might help, but chances are if you are in that predicament you are a goner anyhow! 

Lately, I've been modifying my rope/suspension trainer to train like a "world's strongest man" - seriously. Although, I am not really that strong. Here's what I do. I wrap my rope around my car, just teasing, actually in the gym I wrap my rope around a few plates. Then I combine step lunges, or just walking, with chest press or back pull. Yeah you can step backwards and pull the weights to you. It's not exactly like pulling a truck or train, but if it doesn't get your heart rate up then something is wrong with you.

No comments: