Thursday, August 28, 2008

Bird legged does not equal bird brained



A fitness trainer at EFC, Liverpool, Lee, turned me on to a new trend in training - working out on 1-leg. I thought it was a moronic idea and was extremely hesitant to even try it. I did, however, try it and as one might reckon, gathered some rather odd looks from the mirror muscle guys, as well as the ladies. What came of it was a noticeable, rather remarkable increase in core strength. See standing on 1-leg forces your body to deal with gravity in a whole new way: one in which it is not used to doing. You no longer can rely on your other lower limb to throw you through moves to completion, but rather you fight constantly with the seriously possible idea that you are going to fall over. See, unlike birds who use 1-legged standing for a completely different purpose humans are not used to standing on 1-leg, except for those brief instances between steps. Try it. I am sure you won't be disappointed. You can do almost any exercise on 1-leg if the exercise typically starts from a standing position. For example, biceps curl, overhead triceps raises, should press with dumbbells, and lateral, front and or rear deltoid raises.  

If you can already balance 1-legged while doing exercises, try taking it up a notch and add a core stability device (bosu ball, swiss ball, or core trainer). I find this type of thing really helps my sense of balance and helps me to not have to think about it when doing the gymnastics type exercises.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought to use this photo as an illustration for human exercise. I like it!

Prof. Steven M. Platek said...

cool glad u liked it. I think it makes a lot of sense to compare to animals