Monday, August 25, 2008

Get Inverted

The benefits of being inverted (e.g., in yoga postures) is hotly debated with the yoga community suggesting that it could be beneficial for everything from the nervous system to treating depression. The scientific community has provided less than stellar support for these hypotheses, however they have not been systematically tested with tight controls, nor have there been many attempts to replicate such findings. 

What's my take? I like being inverted and do feel the benefits. Let me summarize below. 

Being inverted demands a core strength and stability that being on two legs does not. You need to balance your entire body in an entirely new fashion. This is most uncomfortable for a lot of us, but it's that discomfort which leads to progress in training muscles that you otherwise would never use. Now to be honest you might not give a shit, because drinking beer does not demand use of those muscle, right. On the contrary my friend. Imagine being able to do a keg stand without being held up; talk about getting laid! Oops, there I go again, I meant drunk. :-)

Seriously, though, being inverted trains a new set of muscle groups that most of are not used to training. I have personally noticed the benefits in my other training: stability, strength, etc. In addition to the training benefits, I find it quite relaxing to be upside down. You can feel the rush of blood to your head. You can feel the blood rushing from your legs. My yoga teacher, Debbie, used to tell me that it sent good energy to your heart and brain. You know I don't know if I believe her from a strictly scientific perspective, but something about the way she said it, she sold it and I felt it. My wife too. At any rate, if you only try to get inverted once a month, once a week, it ought to be fun and I'd be interested in hearing if it benefits your workout. Here is a nice image to show some, but not all the inverted positions possible. 

No comments: