Friday, August 29, 2008

Floor training for Iron Cross

I have constructed a suspension trainer out of some rope from Home Depot. I hope to eventually, in the not so near future because it's fucking hard, work up to being able to complete and hold an Iron Cross (see above, made to look easy) using my suspension trainer. In order to work toward this goal I have started some floor training with cables that is helping me, I think, strengthen and coordinate the muscles needed to pull such a move off. See one of the things about this move is that you have outward and downward force needed and generated by both arms. Oh, and you are supporting yourself in the air. So the possibility of one arm pushing harder, faster, further out, less straight, etc etc is very high. What I have been doing is to stand on the floor and take two (independent cables from an overhead pull down machine) in either hand. I then push my arms to iron cross position and do downward presses. At the bottom of the move, I do what looks like a standing pulley dip. Then out again. OK, easy enough, right? Now try it on 1 leg. I like to hold 1-leg out in the L position to strengthen and tighten my core. I sometimes even work that into the move, doing forward leg raises in between reps. Being on 1 leg forces you as I mention in my other post to stabilize muscles that you are not used to using. In fact, you might find, if you use heavy enough weight that you are actively trying to stabilize the downward and outward force generated by each arm independently to keep you from placing that other leg back on the ground.  I like it, even if people look at me strangely while doing it. 

And, if you wanted to bump it up a notch, try doing it while kneeling on a swiss ball, standing on a core trainer, or a bosu ball, etc. Core stability - look out!

2 comments:

gilesdm said...

nice post man....
OK, Can I see some Photos? I would love to be able to do this... This move is the hardest fucking thing on the planet but i would love to try... One good way of training this, without the rings, is to hang upside down with your legs, and using dumbbells do a reverse lateral raise.. this is one of the way the kiddie gymnasts learn how to recruit the muscles needed.
D.

Prof. Steven M. Platek said...

whoa
hang upside down? as if ppl already don't look @ me strangely enough...LOL