Friday, August 29, 2008

Suspension Training

OK, so I've talked about endlessly, but heretofore have been too embarrassed to pull out my home made suspension trainer. Yes. I am cheap and chose to make my own as opposed to purchase the $150 TRX model. The one for purchase is way way cooler, but still, I'm an academic and don't get paid enough to purchase such frivolous items for training.

At any rate, this morning my back was feeling loose and generally pain-free so I decided what the hell. I jogged over to the Locker room and grabbed my rope. It could not have been more than a fraction of a second before half the dudes on the weight floor were looking at me like "what in the F is that guy doing?" Then I started tying it up to the pull-up bar (actually the cross bar for the cable cross-over machine, and i got looks that I could only interpret as fears I was going to hang myself, and let's be honest that thought has crossed my mind from time to time at the gym). At any rate, I go ahead and string the damn thing up. The trainer, William, who 1st introduced me to the device came over and gave me a look and said, "you were serious! you built your own? Of course I did. That's what I do.

The images above are of my device and it works like a charm. To make it I purchased 25 feet of 1/2-3/4 inch thick polypropylene rope from my local hardware store, Home Depot. It cost about $12. Then at each end of the rope I tied a slip knot and a safety know (thank goodness for the climbing training). That's it.

How to use it: tie a prusik knot on a high surface (e.g., the pull up bar, the top of your Smith machine, the cable cross-over machine, etc). To adjust the height simply add more rope to the prusik knot. It is quite important that the handles hang about even - they don't need to be exactly even, but they should be close. Easy enough.

Here's how I used it today: This was all after my normal workout and my embarrassment waned... ugh I am tired. First, I did suspended chest press. Second I did push-up with knee tucks. Third, lastly, and most excitingly I did dips! Dips were a killer because unlike the dip bar, the ropes moves back and forth and you are forced to engage so many muscles (core mostly) to stabilize yourself.

At the end of the day, I can overlook the odd views I get from the mirror muscle gang, and my own embarrassment and I will use this bad boy a few days a week. The other good thing about it is that it can be used by all levels. Adjusting the suspension is literally just moving your legs in or out. Easy enough. I am taking it with me to the mountains this weekend and Aussie and I might try and attach it to a tree to get a little mountain air workout in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you made your own suspension trainer. But you did get these exact instructions from another website and commented on how you were going to do the same after contemplating. You really should give some kind of credit to that other blog.

Loren Anderson said...

I found it worked better to use nylon webbing ($.36 by the foot at REI), 2 cam buckles ($.50 each online), and a heavy weight caribiner ($3.50). Total cost was under $20 and looks more professional than knot tied rope.

cheap ray ban sunglasses said...

Terrific article, thanks for sharing!