Thursday, September 4, 2008

Suspended Dips & L-seat combo Progression

I finally got a new phone and was able to vid myself doing a few moves today. I must apologize for the quality of the movies. My wife was not around to take them, so I had to prop my phone up against the cable cross-over machine, which resulted in the camera being faced toward the lights. This is undesirable, but should give a flavor for what I am doing with my suspension training rope. Here I show a combination of suspended rope dips followed by suspended rope L-seat. I must admit the L-seat look terrible and I can attribute that to my triceps being blasted after the dips (i.e. I am weak!) It is a pretty horrible combination; quite hard in deed.  Things to note here: 1) the shaking of my arms. That comes with rope territory in the early days. 2) the ugliness of the L-seat. I tend to concentrate more on holding myself up here (notice me nearly falling to the ground at the end of the vid) as opposed to concentrating on good form. When I practice the solo suspended L-seat it looks prettier because I concentrate on form - legs together tight, pointing toes, etc, all of which actually helps me to hold the move. 3) my suspension rope is hung from the center of a cable cross-over machine using a pruisik knot. Then I wrap the extra rope around the various pull/chin-up bars to adjust the height for dips. Here the ropes are at about the height of my hands while standing so I need to bend my legs while dipping. That's ok though, same effect. 

2 comments:

gilesdm said...

Don't know how I managed to miss this post but I did. That's wicked! The suspention cables you have are great! Are they the ones that you made, or did you buy them?

Prof. Steven M. Platek said...

those are the ones I made. I give instructions here, however, I would make some modifications (I am going to make a post about this) to add handles. Because currently my handles are simply a loops of rope, my hands are getting torn up. I am going to try and figure a way to make them more comfortable, but b/c I think the discomfort i so unbearable or manly, but rather because when you are in the middle of a move (suspended L-seat, for example) you want to concentrate on the move and not a cramp in your hands.

Could you use one of these at EFC? I guess you have overcome any sort of fear and/or embarrassment about doing these move in the weight room. You could toss a rope over the Smith machine, but you would need someway to make sure that it didnot slide from side to side... I am not sure how to do that. But, you can use the ropes as TRX advertise for fitness anywhere. Let me know if you make/buy one.